Wednesday, November 4, 2009

I'll Bake If I Want To!


I’ve been having a craving for oat bran-raisin muffins for weeks, and finally had 10 minutes to put my little munchkin down and bake a dozen of them. Because I like to share recipes (and all other things) I love with you here on this blog, I considered snapping a picture of the treats and typing up the recipe. But then my very overtired brain started having a dialogue with itself, wondering if such a post would be a good idea.

“Oat bran is labeled by so many people as a ‘health food,’” I said to myself. “People will think that this anti-diet preacher is a fraud,” I thought. They’ll think that while I say I eat REAL FOODS including the ones with fat inside of them, that really I subsist on fat-free, fiber-filled oat bran, skim milk and dried fruit.

As I’m typing this on my computer (with a bowl of oatmeal by my side) I’m realizing what a ridiculous conversation this was that I had with myself. I blame baby brain.

Now the dialogue in my head is going something like this: “Seriously, Maggie? Because you actually enjoy (er, LOVE….and had a major craving for) something that others label as a ‘health food,’ you think your Eat When You’re Hungry message will be tarnished?”

“Well, yes,” I thought. That is exactly what I was thinking.

But then I came across this blog post talking about delicious foods that have been “hijacked by diet industry hype,” and it got me thinking – I love my oat bran muffins, darnit, and I’m sharing the recipe on my blog!

These muffins are simple and satisfying, and if we’re being honest on this blog (which we are), they really are a raisin delivery device for me. Plus, my hubby can’t stand raisins, so I don’t have to worry about them disappearing from the freezer before I’ve had a chance to get my fill of them.

Anyway, try out the recipe if you want to, but in the meantime, let me know – are there any foods you love that have been “hijacked” by the diet industry?

Oat Bran Raisin Muffins
(Courtesy of Mother’s Oat Bran – side of box recipe)
2 ¼ cups Oat Bran Hot Cereal, uncooked
¼ cup chopped nuts (I omit these and replace with raisins)
¼ cup raisins (I put in quite a bit more than this)
1 tablespoon baking powder
½ teaspoon salt
¾ cup milk
2 eggs, slightly beaten
1/3 cup honey or molasses
2 tablespoons vegetable oil

Heat oven to 425 degrees. Line 12 medium muffin cups with paper baking cups or spray bottoms only with no-stick cooking spray. Combine dry ingredients; mix well. Add combined milk, eggs, honey and oil; mix just until dry ingredients are moistened. Fill prepared muffin cups ¾ full. Bake 15 to 17 minutes or until golden brown.
1 Dozen

4 comments:

Linzey said...

I'll have to try this out (and by "I" I mean Dan). :) I also have a good white bean chili recipe to share with you... If I remember correctly you're a big fan of white bean chili!

Maggie Miller said...

Oh, yes -- I love white bean chili, though I'm a little nervous about having too many beans while nursing Em. But send it to me and I'll save it to try later.

Linzey said...

Ooo, that's right, I didn't even think about that. I'll be sure to send it along.

zanjabil said...

Yum!Thank you for this recipe. I can't eat wheat so this is a keeper!