Tuesday, November 10, 2009

All in the Details

After being interviewed more than a month ago, the story on orthorexia finally aired on WCBS-TV tonight. I must commend WCBS-TV for devoting air-time to such an important topic. However, I am both shaking my head and smiling while I type this: the title the station granted me was "Maggie Miller, Orthorexic." I might have preferred, "Maggie Miller, Author, Coach." I even would have taken "former orthorexic" or "recovered orthorexic."

Sidenote, I never refer to someone as an "orthorexic," "anorexic" or "bulimic." People are more than the issues with which they struggle, so I always refer to people by name and if relevant say that they are suffering with anorexia, bulimia or orthorexia...rather than define them as their eating disorder. But I digress.

That being said, I stand by my words quoted in the story. My life did open up once I finally recovered from disordered eating. I decided that life was more important than having the "perfect" diet. I set out to write "Eat When You're Hungry" with one goal: to help as many people as I possibly could to stop dieting and start living. I hope that despite the incorrect label "Orthorexic," without the word "former" in front of it, my story of recovery will come through and help others who are currently enmeshed in this labyrinth of eating choices.

I hope I remain a living, breathing example to people all over the world of someone who has successfully overcome years of restrictive eating. Remember, eat when you're hungry, stop when you're full and love yourself.

2 comments:

Linzey said...

Congrats on the story; I see what you mean about the label (also the way the story is edited/narrated). And wow, Emily made the news already! :)

Maggie Miller said...

Thanks Linzey, and yes -- I agree completely. Unfortunately, the story did not explain orthorexia well. Orthorexia is an unhealthy obsession with being healthy where every nutrient that is consumed must serve a purpose and be "perfect," i.e., organic, natural, full of vitamins, etc. It's actually not at all about counting calories, as they showed the first woman doing. Too bad they missed the mark.