Wednesday, October 24, 2007

What does healthy mean to you?

When it comes to eating healthy, there are a million and three different notions of what that means. There are also countless numbers of people suffering with disordered eating who are masking their struggle under the virtuous sounding phrase, "In Good Health." Those are often the people with the most work to do to get to a healthy place around food....ironic, hu?

Don't get me wrong, health is something I'm grateful for every day of my life, and being healthy -- emotionally, spiritually, intellectually -- is something I strive for every day of my life, too. But I want to challenge you today to consider that there's only one source of information for what "healthy" is for you. And that one source is not the news media, not your next door neighbor, not your cubicle mate who counts calories. It's YOU!

As you know if you've read my book, I used to be of the mindset that high-fiber, low saturated fat and tons of fruits and vegetables were the "ticket" to health. But when I finally turned off the television and stopped reading all of the advise "out there" about what being healthy meant, an amazing thing happened. My body told me what it needed for ME to be healthy -- it needed saturated fat and animal protein, exactly the foods we're all told to eat in limited quantities.

Well, it was precisely when I began eating what my body told me it needed (cheeseburgers, tuna melts, eggs and bacon, real milk), that I began to notice a beautiful transformation of my body to an emotionally, physically, intellectually HEALTHY place. Ironic, given all the "un-healthy" foods I was eating...

In case you're struggling with trying a piece of real cheese with all that real, yummy, protein and calcium-rich fat inside of it, take a moment and read Sandy Szwarc's latest entry that just might encourage you to finally trade in that fat free, sugar free, yogurt imitation product for the good, old fashioned real, whole milk white stuff....it's called REAL YOGURT.

Read on...

http://junkfoodscience.blogspot.com/2007/10/junkfood-science-exclusive-big-one.html

No comments: