Monday, January 4, 2010

Happy New Year


I sent out the following letter to my newsletter subscribers this weekend and it dawned on me this morning that perhaps it would be beneficial to post it to my blog as well. So...here's a letter from me to you....just a few days into the new year.

Happy New Year!
Wishing you a happy, healthy 2010

As I type this email on New Year's Eve, my husband is cooking dinner, my baby girl is practicing pre-crawling maneuvers on her play-mat and I am happily settling into a new home office we created for me this week. I don't have a profound message to type tonight, nor do I have an inspiring story to tell. I just want to reach out to you during a time that can be a struggle for those committing to a non-dieting way of life.

Airwaves are abuzz with dieting offers and "slim-down" "tips and tricks" at this time of year, and as you know by now, supportive non-dieting messages are too few and far between. So before you get tempted to buy into the multi-billion dollar diet industry, I'd like to gently remind you that diets don't work. They're not good for you, they've been proven to correlate with weight gain in the long run, and the yo-yo cycles created by diets have been proven time and time again to be unhealthy.

So as you ring in the new year I offer you a virtual hand. You can hold my hand for as long as you want on your journey to make peace with food and with yourself. I'll be here to cheer you on, offer a shoulder to cry on and remind you as many times as I need to that you are perfect just the way you are. I'll also be here to remind you that changing a number on a scale won't make you any happier. Changing your perception of and love for your body, though, just might.

My message is as simple today as it was when I launched my business two years ago: Eat When You're Hungry. Stop When You're Full. And Love Yourself.

And have a happy, healthy, joyful new year filled with laughter, lattes if you like them, and all the things that make life so delicious.

Warmly,
Maggie

5 comments:

vmichelle said...

Thanks for that. I don't feel like crying this time of year as much as I feel angry. Angry at all the sort of "guilt and deprivation" stuff surrounding me like clouds. But I feel very free this year, not being stuck in it and being able to devote my energies elsewhere!

Maggie Miller said...

@vmichelle -- so glad you're feeling free this year. Good for you for shedding the diet mentality.

LASIK eye surgery said...

Excellent topics. I really like this topics, I found this from online that, each recipe has been tested and each one has come out perfect If not, they are not added to the site. All you need to know is how to make the perfect dishes.
appetizer simple

LASIK eye surgery said...

Excellent topics. I really like this topics, I found this from online that, each recipe has been tested and each one has come out perfect If not, they are not added to the site. All you need to know is how to make the perfect dishes.
appetizer simple

LASIK eye surgery said...

Excellent topics. I really like this topics, I found this from online that, each recipe has been tested and each one has come out perfect If not, they are not added to the site.All you need to know is how to make the perfect dishes.
appetizer simple