Friday, September 18, 2009

Favorite Product of the Week: Wolfgang Puck Tortilla Soup


**Disclaimer: I am writing this post in a very rushed manner, but if I don't do it now, it won't happen. So please excuse any and all grammatical errors. On that note, let's just keep this disclaimer for all posts from here on out. Such is my life with a 9-week old baby, who, if you care to know, I am totally in love with**

I have a thing for tortilla soup. I love it, but I only love a certain kind of tortilla soup. It has to have a thick red broth, not a clear broth you can see through. It’s got to have some spice and it just has to be good. One of the best tortilla soups I ever had was a special on the menu at The Abbey in West Hollywood. I really wish that restaurant would put the soup back on the menu as a staple. It’s that good.

I’ve also never been able to find a recipe for the kind of tortilla soup I love. I just had to eat it at restaurants when I was lucky enough to spot it on the menu.

I also have a very strong dislike for most canned soups. I have yet to taste one that was actually worth eating. Until today. As I was rushing through the aisles of Gelson’s earlier this week between feedings (all of my errands must now take place between the end of one feeding for my bambina, and the start of the next one), I came across a display of Wolfgang Puck soups. Given that I have no time these days to cook much beyond what can be broiled or baked in the oven while I’m doing something else (changing diapers, trying to ease my little girl into a nice nap, or feeding her), I thought, what the heck. I’ll give it a try.

And let me just say, “I’m so excited!!!!” Wolfgang Puck’s tortilla soup is GOOD! Really good. It’s exactly the kind I like, and it is definitely restaurant quality. It bears no resemblance to the airplane-food-quality of nearly every other canned soup I’ve ever eaten. I just ate an entire can of it along with a chicken salad sandwich (I have a VERY healthy appetite these days with the nursing) and it was delicious!

Okay, my munchkin is calling. More later, but check out this soup and let me know what you think!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I just discovered his soups and I think they're fantastic. I haven't tried tortilla yet, but I bought one...I'm sure I'll love it.