Tuesday, November 20, 2007

A Common Question

Someone recently asked me what she should do when she finds herself eating past the point of fullness into the place of being uncomfortably stuffed.  This is a question that comes up frequently, so I thought I'd put my fingers to the keyboard and share the advice I tend to offer on this topic.
 
Generally what I ask is for you to consider a few questions....
 
Do you recognize when you are full, and yet you continue eating anyway? And if so, the deeper question is why? (And believe me, that's a hard question for everyone!) But take moment to think about it. What does the eating past fullness bring you? Perhaps it brings you comfort, perhaps distraction, perhaps you simply eat past fullness because the food you were eating didn't have the "satisfaction factor" you needed. Once you can answer these questions, you can begin to consider ways to address your concern. For example, what else is comforting to you, what else provides distraction, or what other foods can you choose that WILL feel satisfying to you?

And most importantly, don't beat yourself up about it. Each day is an opportunity for learning. And little by little you'll get to the place you want to be.

No comments: